Sunday, April 22, 2012

Every Now and Again..

..you just feel really good. I've been in a bit of a slump for the past month, and there is just something about today that has me dancing in the sunlight and smiling at the little things. A quick update, I have two finals this week, and two next week, and then my freshman year will have been completed! I'll be sure to do a long post worth reading about how great it is to be here when the time comes. :)
Last night, I attended Muster. Muster is a tradition at A&M that is specific to our university. It's where we honor the fallen Aggies from the previous year. If you can't attend, if you're within 100 miles of another Aggie, you're supposed to get together and remember the good times. Within Muster there is a part where they call the names, "Roll Call". As they called the class of 2015, I couldn't help but stop a tear or two as I answered 'Here'. Of all the Aggie traditions I've come in contact with here, this is by far my favorite. I've had my doubts on whether or not this is where I need to be, but after last night, I realized there is no where else I could be.
I guess that's why I'm starting to feel a little better. I'm realizing that there is a reason for being here. Not just to get an education for the betterment of my life, but also to create a bond with these individuals, new and old, held together with the glistening of a ring. The sparkle in their eye when you mention Silver Taps. Or the smile when you ask about the football games.
I was able to talk to a few of the class of 1962 graduates yesterday as we were waiting for the opening ceremony of the newly renovated Memorial Student Center. Boy did they have some stories. There were several who had served, and were more than willing to share their stories. I could have listened for hours.
One day, I'll be standing at my 50th reunion with all the rest, smiling like a fool.. as they Softly call the Muster.. and let the comrade answer 'Here'.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, BEB! Congratulations on completing your Freshman year!! Yeah, I know, technically you still have four finals to go ...but that's just a formality. You'll pass with flying colors, I'm sure!!

    : )

    ReplyDelete