Sunday, November 20, 2011

That Moment When..

That moment when you realize your life is a blessing from God.
I grew up with a Church family. The individuals in each family changed from time to time, but I always had the support I needed to fulfill my intentions.
Last night I had a conversation with an individual who does not believe in God, and chooses to believe the Church is worthless. Somedays, I don't bother with outlandish people such as him, but yesterday was just one of those days. (One thing this boy always asks me, is why the heck I'm smiling all the time.) I asked him what made him feel that way, and he replied with "My grandpa was a Christian, and he was as worthless as any can be. My parents and I rejected the christian faith, and look at me now. I'm attending this great college on a full ride and it's all because of what I did. No one helped me. This is all me."
I looked him up and down for a few seconds, grasping for words that I prayed would just appear, then it was clear. "Robert, why is it, that everytime I see you, your never smiling?"
Pause... "I don't know. I just don't feel like it I guess?"
I smiled, "Robert the reason I walk with a smile, is because I know that no matter what, I have someone on my side. God is the reason I'm smiling every single day, why I find joy in the little things. Sure you find joy in the fact that your here all because of what you did, but how often do you look at the colors of the leaves, and think about what is causing that? Or when the rain falls from the sky, imagine what the rain is doing for the earth."
He was silent..
"I smile, because God is causing those things, and he is on my side."
He replied "Science and Nature are causing those things"
"Nature is not on your side my friend, but God, can be."
He just looked at me, for his words of denial were not there. I smiled :)
I thank God everyday for my struggles. Without them, I would have no faith. When your down, remember that God would never give you any burden you can not handle. Yesterday was a really tough day for me, and having that conversation reinforced that God should continue to be my Number One. Sometimes I lose track of that in the midst of the late night studying and continued pressure to do well. It's good to have a wake up call every now and again :)
Y'all have a Great Thanksgiving week. Thank God for his blessings this year, and for your ability to smile. :)

8 comments:

  1. oh my....when your Father and Mother reads this - they are probably going to implode. They raised you well, my darlin'. and so did your "other" Father. it is very refreshing to read your posts about being a good girl who is smiling and being thankful all of the time. you are a reflection of your parents - and they did a wonderful job! but more importantly - you are a reflection of YOU! and YOU are doing a wonderful job. My Lord and Jesus are smiling because of you.

    you keep on keepin' on. you are so on the right track!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no words.....
    Wish more kids like you were on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kymber :) This is what life should really be about.

    Thanks MDR :)

    Thanks Warlock, I do too to be honest :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is something very important to me. My understanding came from a great deal of pain and finally a surrender. I learned to have a relationship with God through Alcoholics Anonymous. When I came into the doors I felt God was not on my side. I felt God was to busy judging and I had had way to much of that in my life. Over the years I have learned there is no better friend to have for with God, yes you are never alone. Even when you try.

    I was in a really bad place one time and a friend that I respected a great deal said the following:

    Friend: "You know when they tell you that God won't give you more than you can handle."

    Me thinking this was a pep talk: "Yes"

    Friend: "They lied."

    My head sunk

    Friend: "He won't give you more than you can handle together."

    I have carried that with me for a long time and it has helped me through a lot. Keep shining BEB. Today you were blessed with being a messenger and received a gift in the process. Awesome work. Keep looking up.

    Oh, and another saying someone told me when I was in a challenging spot. I love those saying that swirl in my head and drop down when needed.

    "Stars shine brightest in the dark."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing G. Sometimes I take for granted what wonderful things God has in store for me, and it takes having that struggle to push me back in the right direction. That is a great saying... I will add it to my list of re-uses :) Thank you again for your words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEB - you are home right now and your wonderful Father can sleep. i am so glad.

    we both want you to know that you and your family are in our thoughts today...and in our thanks - it is American Thanksgiving Day and we are celebrating with you all today and tomorrow.

    all of our best wishes to you on this Thanksgiving Day!

    your friends,
    kymber and jamie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Kymber. It's so great to have so much support, without even having met y'all in person. I am thankful for both of you :)
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete