Sunday, January 1, 2012

Hey Let's See if That'll Burn...

This year has been good to me. I made it through my first semester of college in one piece, made some amazing friends, and grew up quite a bit.
We ended the year yesterday with a down-home, real, country shoot-out. Well.. Kind of. Everyone brought out their "toys" so to speak, and we all took turns tearing apart targets. Oh how I love it so.. 
This morning we went to an old friend of mine's wedding. Now both of my childhood playmates have grown up and pledged their life to someone else.. 
Weirdos. 

After the wedding we came home and I asked MDR if we could do something productive, as I was tired of sitting around staring out the window at the cold. Now that the weather was perfect, I figured, Why not? A while back MDR found this wicked Fresnel Lens and mentioned how he wanted to build a frame for it to make it stronger. He had told me stories of it's mystery power, so I attempted to call his bluff. 
Gosh Darn it if he wasn't right. Like always. 
I built the frame out of old fence pickets he wasn't using, so the cost was zero ;)
I stacked the pickets on top of one another in an overlapping form, so as to not damage the lens. 
And yes, I used the saw all by myself :)
I then had the idea of trying to find how hot the Focal Point was.... 

But my thermometer only went up to 550 degrees.. 










So we just decided to see what we could catch on fire :)

Burned the can pretty bad, but no flames...



But the stick caught pretty well :)










MDR has lots planned for tomorrow, so we will give you the whole seat, but you will only need the edge!
Have a great Monday!

4 comments:

  1. bahahaha! i bin' wonderin' when you two would get up to some mischief! good job on the lens BEB!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calling the ol' man's bluff, huh? You shoulda known he wasn't bluffing. Ha! Glad you had fun proving him right though. Can't wait to hear what's next! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks Kymber!

    HossBoss- Yeah it's getting pretty hard to prove him wrong these days.. But I'm excited for today!!

    ReplyDelete